Thursday, October 23, 2008

Birthday Trips and Dreams

On Saturday morning at o'dark thirty (5am) we woke up and headed in the car to Great Smoky Mountains National Park in NC. We took the Blue Ridge Parkway to get to the entrance we wanted and it was worth the almost 3 hour drive. The last time we had traveled to the area, a lovely woman in the visitors center of Maggie Valley told us about Cathlacoochee Valley. The Elk come down in the early morning and just before dark to graze. Seeing these giant and amazing creatures in breeding season mind you was awe inspiring. I was simply beside myself. We saw some wild turkeys too and just plain gorgeous scenery. As if I had any doubt there was a God, this place will prove it. You can't seem to believe what is before your eyes. Admission to the park is completely free. Next year is the 75th anniversary of the park which means it existed before Alaska was even a state. Its the most visited park in the national system with over 9 million visitors per year and I know why. I love it, definately one of my favorite places in the world.




1 comment:

Christy said...

Truly breathtaking, now I'm eager to go someday!